Skip to Content

Other Paths to Qualify for In-State Tuition

Students not able to demonstrate domicile in Virginia can obtain the in-state tuition rate by meeting requirements of one of the exceptions provided within the Code of Virginia. Below is a list of common exceptions:

The Code of Virginia requires all students under the age of 24 to prove self-sufficiency through clear and convincing evidence before registering for classes at the in-state tuition rate. Students are not considered “financially self-sufficient” if 50% or more of their expenses are/were covered by a parent or legal guardian within the last 12 months. If the student lives with a parent or legal guardian and does not pay rent to live there, they are not self-sufficient and are considered a “qualifying child” or “qualifying relative” according to the IRS definition. Please refer to the self-sufficiency check list form to determine if you meet guidelines for this path. If you do not meet the guidelines, please have your parent complete the parent or legal guardian form and submit to the office of admissions.

The military contract out-of-state rate applies to federal military installations located in Virginia. It allows the military contract rate to be charged to out-of-state domiciled military or civilian personnel stationed or working at these installations. In accordance with Chapter 782, 2017 Acts of Assembly, the State Board for Community Colleges approved the Military Contract Rate to apply to any out-of-state active duty military personnel stationed outside of Virginia, and not domiciled in Virginia, whether the tuition is paid by the military employer or personally by the active duty military member. Dependents of active duty military personnel who reside in Virginia shall be deemed to be domiciled in Virginia and receive the in-state tuition rate. If you recently applied to the college and the Admissions Application automatically assigned you as out-of-state, please email

Military veterans residing within the Commonwealth shall be eligible for in-state tuition charges. If you recently applied to the college and the Admissions Application automatically assigned you as out-of-state, please email

As of April 29, 2014, the Director of the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia has determined that students who have received approval for DACA are eligible to establish domicile in Virginia and apply for in-state tuition. If you have received DACA approval, and would like to apply for In-State tuition, please utilize the appeal form below.

Effective July 1, 2020, any student who:

  • Attended high school for at least two years in the Commonwealth and either (a) graduated on or after July 1, 2008, from a public or private high school or program of home instruction in the Commonwealth or (b) passed on or after July 1, 2008, a high school equivalency examination approved by the Secretary of Education;
  • Has submitted evidence that he or, in the case of a dependent student, at least one parent, guardian, or person standing in loco parentis has filed, unless exempted by state law, Virginia income tax returns for at least two years prior to the date of registration or enrollment; and
  • Registers as an entering student or is enrolled in a public institution of higher education in the Commonwealth.

Students who meet these criteria shall be eligible for in-state tuition regardless of their citizenship or immigration status, except that students with currently valid visas issued under 8 U.S.C. § 1101(a)(15)(F), 1101(a)(15)(H)(iii), 1101(a)(15)(J) (including only students or trainees), or 1101(a)(15)(M) are not eligible. Information obtained in the implementation of this subdivision shall only be used or disclosed to individuals other than the student for purposes of determining in-state tuition eligibility.

More Information

While there are many pathways to in-state tuition rates, not all pathways are considered for federal or state financial assistance.

To see if you are eligible for Federal or State Aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (276) 656-0316 or

All students have the legal right to appeal an out-of-state tuition rate.

Back to top