Skip to Content

How to Apply

Prospective students should first submit an application.

Program Change

Students must ensure they are placed in the degree-seeking program of their choice. If the student wishes to change their program after application submission, a Student Academic Program Change Form must be submitted.


Request official transcript(s) from all previous institutions (transcripts from other VCCS schools are not required). Unofficial transcripts can be used for advising purposes, but will not be considered for transfer credit. Electronic transcripts must be sent directly from the previous institution to P&HCC to be considered official.  Transcripts sent to the student and then forwarded will not be considered as official. P&HCC does not accept faxed transcripts.

Send transcripts to:

Patrick & Henry Community College
Office of Admissions and Records
645 Patriot Avenue
Martinsville VA 24112


Students who wish to have other VCCS schools courses evaluated must complete the transcript evaluation request in SIS.

Evaluations may take up to 10 business days. Students do not have to wait for an evaluation to enroll in classes. Academic advisors can assist students with enrolling in classes.

Credit for Prior Learning

Credit for Prior Learning presents a student with academic credit for knowledge and proficiency within specific fields achieved through prior academic studies or professional experience. This may include, but is not limited to, the options that are listed below.  Please use the Credit for Prior Learning Handbook for more information as well as instructions on how to request an evaluation of credit.

  • Transfer Credit from Another College/University
  • Military Credit
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Credit-by-Portfolio (Experiential Learning/Work Experience)
  • Credit-by-Examination
  • CLEP (College Level Examination Program)
  • AP (Advanced Placement)

Credit for Prior Learning policies at Patrick & Henry Community College are consistent with the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) principles and with Virginia Community College System (VCCS) policy.


Courses for which transfer credit is awarded must be similar in content, credit, and learning outcomes to their counterpart courses at P&HCC.  Program faculty may be consulted about the award of transfer credit. To be eligible for transfer:

  • Courses must show a grade of “C” (2.0) or higher in any course for which transfer credit is requested. Courses with “P” grades will be awarded transfer credit only if the “P” grade is equivalent to a “C” (2.0) or higher grade.
  • Only credit hours are transferred to P&HCC; not grades or grade point average.

International Transcripts

Transcripts from non-U.S. institutions must be evaluated by an approved evaluation agency.  The official transcript evaluation must be sent directly from the agency to P&HCC. Students are encouraged to have their foreign transcripts evaluated course-by-course rather than by degree. P&HCC does not endorse any specific evaluation agency.  Below is a list of potential options.  For a complete list of member agencies, go to National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

Global Credential Evaluators
Telephone:  800-707-0979

International Consultants of Delaware, Inc.
Telephone: 215-243-5858

Telephone: 713-266-8805

Josef Silny and Associates
Telephone:  305-273-1616

World Education Services
Telephone: 212-739-6100


Admissions & Records
Walker Fine Arts Building
M-F 8 am- 5 pm
Fax (276) 632-0183
CEEB Code: 5543

Back to top