P&HCC Website

Skip to content
P&HCC Logo

Financial Aid Information & Forms

1. Applying

The first step to applying for financial aid is completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Information provided on the FAFSA is calculated by the U.S. Department of Education to determine your financial need before sending the results to P&HCC. The Financial Aid Office has a June 1 priority deadline for guaranteed award notification for the beginning of each academic year. All students meeting this deadline will be processed in time for fall registration in August. Financial aid applications received after June 1 are still processed on a first-come, first-served basis; however, they may not be processed in time to receive aid before fall classes begin. For assistance completing the FAFSA, view step-by-step instructions or online videos.

By submitting your FAFSA you automatically are considered for any of P&HCC’s state or federally funded grants. Grants are funds that do not need be repaid. They are awarded based on qualifications specified by each individual grant.

’Students considering loans, which are borrowed funds that must be repaid, should seek private/alternative student loans as P&HCC does not participate in the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) program.

2.    Processing of FAFSA

After submitting the FAFSA, it normally takes approximately 3-5 business days for the U.S. Department of Education to process it.

Additionally, approximately 30% of applicants are randomly selected for a verification process. If selected, the applicant is contacted by P&HCC to provide additional information. Once the additional information is submitted by the applicant, it can take an additional 10-14 business days to receive the results.

3.    Award

Once a decision is made, an award letter is sent to the applicant via US mail with the academic requirements to receive the award. The funding is available on the student’s account to charge tuition and/or books based upon the award amount. 

4.    Register

Once the award has been received, students are encouraged to receive academic advising to assure the classes being taken are in their program of study. An academic advisor will instruct students on how to register for classes. If a student registers for classes before receiving financial aid, it’s the student’s responsibility to pay for classes. If payment is not made, then the student may be backed out of classes and have to register again.

5.    Refunds

Any balance after classes are paid for is refunded to the student approximately the sixth week of classes. Find information about your account by logging into the student SIS portal and selecting Manage Refunds in the Student Center.

6.    Withdrawals and Returns

If you withdraw or cease attending, you may be required to pay any “unearned” portion of your aid back to the school. In some cases, this may also generate a debt to the Department of Education. Based on the dates of your attendance, a calculation will be made to determine your "unearned" portion.
If you do not repay the portion of financial aid funds for which you are responsible, you may be reported to the state for collection. This applies to all students who receive Federal and/or State funds (i.e. Pell Grant, SEOG, COMA, VGAP) and have ceased attending classes. Thus, you should always speak to an advisor before you stop attending. The Financial Aid Office can discuss with you how enrollment changes will impact your grant funds.

Important Links

22/23 Forms


Financial Aid Award Package Information


What are the various types of Financial Aid?
{slider=1}Federal Pell Grant (PELL){/slider=1} {slider1text}

Under this federal program, students are entitled to financial aid that varies according to the student’s financial need and to the cost of education. The grant is made to students who are enrolled in an eligible program of study and is prorated according to the number of credits enrolled each semester.

{/slider1text} {slider=2}Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG){/slider=2} {slider2text}

Federal Pell Grant students with the lowest expected family contribution (EFC) will be eligible for FSEOG of at least $200 from federal funds. All applicants for financial aid who complete a FAFSA and are eligible for the Pell Grant are given consideration for the FSEOG funds if funding is available.

{/slider2text} {slider=3}The Virginia Commonwealth Award (COMA){/slider=3} {slider3text}

This is a state grant that will assist with tuition only. Students who are enrolled at least half-time, are domiciliary residents of Virginia, and demonstrate financial need will be considered for this grant if funding is available.

{/slider3text} {slider=4}The Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP){/slider=4} {slider4text}

This grant assists with tuition for students who are entering college for the first time. They must enroll full-time, be graduates of a Virginia high school, have a GPA of at least 2.5 and demonstrate financial need. This grant is renewable if full-time status and GPA of at least 2.0 are maintained.

{/slider4text} {slider=5}The Part-time Tuition Assistance Program (PTAP){/slider=5} {slider5text}

This grant assists eligible students who enroll for 1 to 8 credits, who generally, because of their less than half-time status, do not qualify for other forms of financial aid. This grant also assists with tuition only and based upon available funding.

{/slider5text} {slider=6}Federal Work Study (FWS){/slider=6} {slider6text}

This federally sponsored program provides students part-time employment on the college campus or with off-campus non-profit organizations to help with educational costs while attending college. Students must be enrolled for at least six credit hours, demonstrate financial need, and maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA to be considered. Students desiring this form of assistance should complete the Work-Study application and fill out the FAFSA for that academic year.

{/slider6text} {slider=7}Loans{/slider=7} {slider7text}

Loans are borrowed funds and require repayment according to the creditor’s guidelines. By accepting a loan, students have a legal responsibility to pay the loan amount as instructed in their Promissory Note. Patrick & Henry Community College does not participate in the Federal Family Education Loan Programs (Federal Stafford, Federal Perkins, and Federal Plus). Students who may need to consider loans to attend P&HCC will need to seek private student loans (sometimes referred to as alternative student loans).

{/slider7text} {slider=8}Scholarships{/slider=8} {slider8text}

Provided funding is available, the P&HCC Foundation provides scholarships which are financial awards to students on the basis of grades, community service or other requirements set forth by individual scholarship donors. Gifts from individuals and local community organizations have made the following scholarships possible. They are available to all qualified students enrolled at P&HCC. See our P&HCC scholarship page for more details.
Scholarships outside of P&HCC are scholarships of which Patrick & Henry Community College has been made aware. Scholarships listed on this site are through outside lenders, businesses, foundations, or individuals and may be used not only at Patrick & Henry Community College but any college that meets the qualifications. Go to our outside scholarships page to see just a few.


P&HCC’s Financial Aid Office
Call: 276-656-0317
Fax: 276-632-0189
Email: finaid@patrickhenry.edu
Drop in: Walker 246
Mon– Fri: 8am – 5pm

Consumer Info


Share button

Patrick & Henry Community College | 645 Patriot Avenue Martinsville, Virginia 24112 | Phone: 276.638.8777
Statements & Policies
Copyright 2022 Patrick & Henry Community College | All rights reserved