P&HCC Website

Skip to content
P&HCC Logo

Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

Grants are awards based on financial need and do not require repayment. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov to determine eligibility for most types of financial aid. P&HCC students may be eligible for the following types of grants:

• Federal Pell Grant (PELL) — Under this federal program, students are entitled to financial aid that varies according to the student’s financial need and to the cost of education. The grant is made to students who are enrolled in an eligible program of study and is prorated according to the number of credits enrolled each semester.

• Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) — Federal Pell Grant students with the lowest expected family contribution (EFC) will be eligible for FSEOG of at least $100 from federal funds. All applicants for financial aid who complete a FAFSA and are eligible for the Pell Grant are given consideration for the FSEOG funds if funding is available.

• Virginia Commonwealth Award (COMA) —COMA is a state grant that will assist with tuition only. Students who are enrolled at least half time, are domiciliary residents of Virginia, and demonstrate financial need will be considered for this grant. Awarding is contingent upon funding availability.

• Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP) —VGAP assists with tuition for students who are entering college for the first time. They must enroll full- time, be graduates of a Virginia high school, have a GPA of at least 2.5 and demonstrate financial need. This grant is renewable if full-time status and GPA of at least 2.0 are maintained. Awarding is contingent upon funding availability.

• Part-time Tuition Assistance Program (PTAP) —PTAP assists eligible students who enroll for 1 to 8 credits, who generally, because of their less than half- time status, do not qualify for other forms of financial aid. They must be enrolled in no more than 8 credits, are domiciliary residents of Virginia and demonstrate financial need. This grant also assists with tuition only and based upon available funding.

• Federal Work Study (FWS) — FWS can provide money to eligible students to help with educational costs while attending college. This federally sponsored program provides students part-time employment on the college campus or with off-campus non- profit organizations. Students must be enrolled at least six credit hours and demonstrate financial need to be considered. Students desiring this form of assistance should contact the financial aid office and fill out the FAFSA.

• Loans — are borrowed funds and require repayment according to the creditor’s guidelines. By accepting a loan, students have a legal responsibility to pay the loan amount as instructed in a promissory note.

NOTE: P&HCC does not participate in the Federal Family Education Loan Programs (Federal Stafford, Federal Perkins, and Federal Plus). Students who may need to consider loans to attend Patrick & Henry Community College will need to seek private or alternative student loans.


Patrick & Henry Community College | 645 Patriot Avenue Martinsville, Virginia 24112 | Phone: 276.638.8777
Statements & Policies
Copyright 2022 Patrick & Henry Community College | All rights reserved