Scholarships Outside of PHCC
Listed below are scholarships, some through outside agencies and are not restricted to PHCC students. Please review this list often whether you attend here or plan to transfer. This listing is updated as scholarships are made known to the Financial Aid office.
The Virginia Space Grant Consortium (VSGC) offers internship opportunities. Application deadlines vary. Check their website for internships available.
- Langley Aerospace research Summer Scholars Program (LARSS) (http://www.nianet.org/larss/)
- Hughes Memorial Foundation: awards Scholarships to individuals for higher education or job training with preference being given to needy and/or disadvantaged children living in the Virginia counties of Pittsylvania, Halifax, Mecklenburg, Charlotte, Campbell, Bedford, Franklin, Henry and Patrick. Applications are accepted in the spring with a deadline of April 1st and September 1st. The application and ALL required supporting documentation must be submitted by the deadline to be considered.
- The Veterans United Foundation’s primary goal is to assist military service members and their families by awarding five bi-annual $2,000 scholarships to help pay tuition and books. To be eligible, the applicant must be a current active-duty service member, a veteran, spouse or child of a veteran/military member, or a surviving spouse/child. Applicants must display financial need and maintain a 2.5 cumulative grade point average. Deadlines are March 15 –Spring scholarships and September 15 –Fall scholarships to initiate the application process. For details go to http://www.enhancelives.com/.
Health Focus of Southwest Virginia Scholarship Program: Your GPA must be 2.75 or better before being considered. *Failure to complete any and all questios will be automatically considered incomplete. Answer all questions with N/A for those not applicable. You MUST be accepted into a medical program before you are eligible for a scholarship. You DO NOT qualify for a scholarship if you are taking any prerequisite courses (example: Pre-Nursing, Pre-OT).
- Education Portal is accepting submissions for the Tuition Won't Stop Me Scholarship. You can find all of instructions and rules here: http://education-portal.com/articles/Tuition_Scholarship.html. Students can apply for our $1000 Tuition Won't Stop Me Scholarship from now until September 13th at 5 pm PST. All they have to do is create a short video about their experience using credit by exam (CLEP, DSST, Excelsior, AP, etc.) to cut the cost of their degree and fill out a brief entry form. Education Portal knows that with the rising cost of tuition, students are finding it harder to complete their degrees. We think everyone is entitled to a higher education regardless of financial status and we are committed to helping students reduce their student loan debt. Last time we offered this scholarship, Alyssa Snow of Azusa Pacific University was awarded $1000 to help further her education. You can watch her winning video entry here.
Education Portal is now accepting applications for our 2013-2014 academic scholarships in several fields of study. Scholarships awarded to undergraduate students and graduate students, as well as to distance learning students in any field.
The application deadline is April 1, 2014.
These scholarships are for students pursuing associate's or bachelor's degrees.
• Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement: $500
• Liberal Arts and General Studies: $500
• Architecture, Drafting and Related Fields: $500
• Computer Science or Computer Engineering: $1,000
Undergraduate Distance Learning in Any Major or Subject: $500
You can find our scholarships' terms and conditions here: http://education-portal.com/articles/Contest_Rules.html
9. The Army Women’s Foundation Legacy Scholarship Program – Scholarship is based on merit, academic potential, community service, letters of recommendation, and need. The Legacy Scholarship is available for tuition assistance for technical certificate programs, coursework at community colleges for up to $1,000. Applications must be postmarked by January 15, 2014. For details , criteria and to download an application, please visit www.AWFDN.ORG.
10. Community College STEM Scholarship (scholarship flyer): Deadline March 17, 2014