Patrick Henry Community
Scholarship Application Online Interview
The application interview that follows will be used to determine your eligibility for the Commonwealth Legacy and Patrick Henry Scholars.
To be eligible for the Commonwealth Legacy Scholarship award, you must be attending Patrick Henry Community College for the first time. To be eligible for the Patrick Henry Scholars award, you must be a 2015 high school graduate within PHCC’s service region. The scholarships are merit-based and available to students in the PHCC service region of the City of Martinsville, the counties of Henry and Patrick.
The Patrick Henry Scholars program is a full tuition scholarship provided by the PHCC Foundation. Each year up to ten graduates from accredited local high schools are chosen to receive the scholarship for two academic years provided they continue to meet the stated criteria and requirements. These graduates are chosen for their superior academic achievement, civic involvement, and leadership potential. Students who have maintained a grade point average of at least 3.2 on a 4.0 scale may apply.
Patrick Henry Scholars are selected by a committee comprised of members of the Board of Directors of the Patrick Henry Community College Foundation. Patrick Henry Scholars must maintain a GPA of 3.2, be a full time student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours, and participate in 2 extracurricular activities approved by the Foundation office per semester and volunteer for 10 hours per semester. Students are required to sign an agreement letter upon acceptance of the scholarship and attend a mandatory Orientation session prior to the beginning of the fall semester. The tuition award is made for up to 15 credit hours and may be renewed if students remain eligible and funds are available.
Patrick Henry Scholars will receive special recognition as a member of this group and are expected to participate in scheduled activities throughout the year, including serving as Ambassadors for the college.
The Commonwealth Legacy Scholars program is a Virginia Community College System wide scholarship sponsored by the Virginia Foundation for Community College Education. One student from each of the 23 community colleges in the state is selected for this scholarship. Eligible students are full time, associate degree seeking students attending college for the first time who have demonstrated academic excellence during high school as well as a commitment to develop their leadership skills. The program seeks to increase access to higher education and to develop student leadership potential. One recipient will be chosen by the committee to receive the scholarship for one academic year.
1. Before you begin your application you will need the following information:
- Your high school GPA
- Contact information for yourself and your parent(s) or guardian(s)
2. Your application is considered complete when you supply the following ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS to the Patrick Henry Community College Foundation office:
- A reference letter from one of your teachers which MUST be on official school letterhead
- Three reference letters from community leaders which MUST be on official stationary
- Your official transcripts from high school(s) and college(s) if you participated in dual enrollment courses
- The printed and signed Affidavit which will be made available at the end of the online scholarship application process
3. Be sure to follow instructions carefully and answer each question completely
4. The deadline to apply online AND submit additional documents and reference letters is 4:00 pm on Tuesday, 3/31/2015. Documents and letters can either be mailed (with a postmark no later than 3/31/2015) or delivered in person to:
PHCC Foundation Office
Attention: Letitia Pulliam
Frith Hall, Room 146
Patrick Henry Community College
645 Patriot Avenue
Martinsville, VA 24112