Step 1 - Gather the information needed to complete your FAFSA:
- Federal income tax forms (1040's and W-2's) for you, your parents, and your spouse (if applicable) for the previous calendar year.
- Records of the previous year's untaxed income, such as child support paid and/or received and untaxed income from such agencies as: Social Services, Social Security, and the Veteran's Administration.
- Bank account balances, lists of stocks, bonds, and other assets, and both the estimated value and mortgage balance of your other real estate (please do not include your home).
Step 2 - Get a Personal Identification Number (PIN):
- Apply for a Federal PIN at http://www.pin.ed.gov (if you don’t already have one). You will need this PIN to electronically sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you are dependent, your parents will also need to get a PIN at http://www.pin.ed.gov to electronically sign the FAFSA. This will ensure the quickest, most accurate filing process.
In addition, your PIN will allow you to:
- View the status and results of a processed FAFSA application on the FAFSA website.
- Make corrections to your FAFSA online.
- Access your Federal Student Financial Assistance information on the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) website.
- Request a duplicate copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR).
Write your PIN number down in a safe place as you will need this pin number for many years as you pursue your education.
Step 3 – File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):
- To be considered for financial aid, all students must file the FAFSA. The online FAFSA is available at the Department of Education website at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. There is no fee to apply online. This is a FREE service.
Remember to include PHCC’s school code on the FAFSA; if you do not include our school code, we will not receive your application. Patrick Henry Community College’s school code is 003751.
Step 4 – What Happens Next?
Once the FAFSA is processed, you will receive a Student Aid Report by email. Follow the instructions carefully and provide any missing information. In addition, PHCC will receive the information from the Department of Education for determining the student’s eligibility for aid, provided PHCC’s school code is listed on the FAFSA.
The PHCC Financial Aid Office will send you an eligibility letter. If eligible for financial aid, this letter will include instructions on how to view any financial aid awards using our Student Information System (SIS). This site will detail the aid you are eligible to receive based on your application.
Need Assistance Completing the FAFSA?
The PHCC Financial Aid Office offers Financial Aid Workshops to assist students with one-on-one completion of the FAFSA. Check our website at www.patrickhenry.edu for the workshop schedule or call our office at (276)656-0317.